Full course description
The purpose of this online course is to provide an overview of a cardiologist's approach to common problems seen in the primary care office. The course will discuss recommendations on management by general practitioners (primary care physicians), based on current guidelines and evidence-based medicine. We will use an active learning approach through live interactive sessions, assignments, and discussions. Faculty includes experts from the US, UK, Australia, and globally, including Pakistan local experts, especially those in family medicine. This program will complement basic training and short courses offered in Pakistan for general practitioners to bridge the gap of specialty care, especially in underserved areas.
OVERALL CARDIOLOGY ROTATION OBJECTIVES
Upon completion of this rotation, participants should be better able to:
- Explain the underlying basic pathophysiology of common cardiac conditions.
- Recognize and differentiate serious from benign common cardiac conditions seen in primary care practice.
- Improve primary and secondary preventive cardiac care.
- Describe the rationale for further workup of cardiac conditions by general practitioner vs cardiologist.
- Discuss risk, prognosis, and common cardiac problems.
- Describe when to treat in primary care setting vs when to refer to a specialist.
CARDIOLOGY ROTATION TEAM LEADERS
Marriyam Moten MD Professor of Medicine, Loma Linda University and University of California Riverside Lead Cardiologist Physician for APPNA MERIT
M Asrar ul Haq PhD FESC FACC FCSANZ FRACP Director Australian Cardiology Services Cardiovascular Trials Unit Northern Hospital The University of Melbourne
Prof Saima Iqbal Chair, Family Medicine Department, Shifa Taimeer I Millat University National Family Medicine Committee
CARDIOLOGY ROTATION COURSE CURRICULUM
Module 1: Ischemic Heart Disease
Module 2: Valvular Heart Disease
Module 3: Atrial fibrillation
Module 4: Ventricular Arrhythmia
Module 5: Cardiogenic Syncope
Module 6: Cardiac Imaging
Module 7: Primary Prevention in Cardiology
Module 8: Hypertension
Module 9: EKG for PCP: Overview
Each Module consists of live session recording with presentations and Q&A with panelists, Required Reading assignment, Exit Ticket Assignment (from live session), required quiz, optional reading material and additional video lectures. Required assignments have to be completed before the next module becomes available (no required grades for passing the assignment). There are discussion threads in modules to respond to others and review posts from others.
The rotation team leaders have no financial relationships to disclose.
To register for the enduring material
- Click the blue ENROLL button at the top of the screen.
- Click Proceed to Payment. OR OR if you have previously made payment to APPNA MERIT then use the promotion code sent to you by email and skip steps 4 through 8.
- Click Continue Checkout.
- Enter your credit card and billing information, and then click Continue Checkout
- Select that you acknowledge the terms and conditions and then click Continue Checkout.
- Click Submit Payment and Pay the $100 fee.
- A receipt page appears. Click Signout.
- Two emails will be sent to the email address you provided during enrollment.
- Open the message titled “Please confirm your email address.”
- Click Complete Registration.
- You will be directed to a Welcome Aboard! screen. Enter your Login (email address), create a password, select your time zone, and then click Register.
- Once successfully logged into Canvas, click Notification Preferences to choose how you want to receive communications from Canvas.
- Click on the enduring material to begin.